From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 14:10:16 -0800
TO ALL PALEOFOOD SUBSCRIBERS
As listowner I read every messsage posted to paleofood. I have noticed
that some posterss have been ignoring the list posting rules so I am
sending this reminder. If you do not need this I thank you and otherwise
please try to follow the rules. They are there for a reason.

ADDRESSES
[log in to unmask] - messages to the list
[log in to unmask] - messages to change list options -
you                     must include the listname with these commands
[log in to unmask] - messages to the listowner
[log in to unmask] - messages to the listowner directly

WELCOME MESSAGE
Each subscriber receives a copy of the list guidelines when they
subscribe. It contains the basics for making the list run smoothly. You
are told how to subscribe, unsubscribe and how to change your options.
To get a new copy send a message to

with any subject line and in the body of the message put

get paleofood welcome

WEB INTERFACE
You can also use the web interface which is found at

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/paleofood.html

to subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options (digest, nomail
etc.), read messages, post new messages or reply. I was even able to
change my subscription address there though it did ask for my listserv
password. It had a link to obtain a new password for who doesn't already
have one. This is very easy to use.

PALEOFOOD LIST DESCRIPTION
Paleofood is a hunter/gatherer diet support list. Since the food
available to us today is not the same as it was to H/G's of 10,000 or
more years ago we must make some adaptations in our diet for food
availability in our modern world.

TOPICS
Paleofood is a H/G FOOD discussion list. It is NOT a general health list
or an exercise list or a chiropractic list or a modern medical practice
list. These topics may be of some interest but most subscribers are here
for the discussion of H/G diets that do not depend on technology.
Remember
Ray's "Naked with a sharp stick" line. So please try to stay on topic
for this list.

EXCESSIVE QUOTING
Every message posted to Paleofood ends up in the archives on the
maelstom server. For this reason we have a list rule that you NEVER
quote the entire message when you are replying. Please delete most of
the previous message and only keep enough to make your response make
sense. You should NEVER keep any footer at the end of a message. Most of
the web based mail programs such as hotmail, yahoo, juno etc. add these.
If anyone one has difficulty with this just e-mail me and I will help
you.

MESSAGE REPLIES
When you are replying it helps to know who sent the original message. It
is never [log in to unmask] which is the default if you
receive the digest format. Use some method to show the lines that are
quoted. Starting each line with a > is a common way that many mail
programs will do automatically for you.

SUBJECT LINES
Listserv gives us searchable archives. By choosing meaningful subject
lines make it becomes easier and faster to search in the archives. I
have seen some subject threads that had nothing to do with the content.
Another subject line that gives no real information is the following
Re: PALEOFOOD Digest - 21 Jan 2000 - Special issue (#2000-51)
Also the digest number (#2000-51) does not belong as part of the subject
line. If you are receiving paleofood in regular digest format you need
to put in the correct subject line and the part of the message that you
are quoting (including who wrote the original message) plus your
response. I would suggest that most people avoid this format because of
this and the fact that you are forced to read messages in order received
instead of in thread (same subject) order. There is an HTML digest
format which gives you links to the messages in the digest which you
click on to read. Very nice but not all mail programs can handle this.

SIGNATURE LINES
The list rules also forbid signature lines to avoid taking up extra
space in the archives.

Thank you,
David Karas
listowner paleofood