From:
Phil Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:47:37 -0500
Eggs are only as good as the chicken from whence they cometh.  We raise
our own birds, and have never had a problem with eating the eggs raw.
Since we're on site with our layers, we  are acutely aware of when a hen
start to look out of sorts. (She starts to do that  "Funky Chicken "
dance which means chicken soup's  gonna be on the table, real soon. )
But, if you're not sure  who the mommy bird is, I'd parboil the egg for
30 seconds, just to be safe.  Remember, most commercial eggs sold in
supermarkets are six weeks old by the time they get to the shelves.
Plus, many of the layers are sickly and medicated.  Finally, if you buy
your eggs at a health food store, don't be fooled by the words "Free
Running" . That just means the chickens are uncaged and run around a
large laying house.  They still never get to peck at worms or green
grass, or receive fresh air or sunshine.  Look for "Free Range".  Some
brands  even give their birds flax seed to increase Omega - 3 content of
the yolk. .  Hope this helps.

Judy G., cave-girl newbie