From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 02:12:17 MST
Hi, Judith!

>I understand that you can test for ketones with strips of paper.

They're called Ketostix and if you don't see them in your pharmacy, ask for
them.  Many keep them behind the counter and not on the floor, I suppose
because not so many people use them.  There's another brand, name of which I
forget, but get Ketostix; they give you a reading almost immediately,
whereas the other brand takes a whole two minutes.

>If they are in your breath and such, can you taste them?  Do they >taste
>bad or good?

Yes, you can taste them ever so slightly, but drinking lots of water takes
care of that.  But even if you do drink a lot (*hic*) and get rid of the
taste, think a little higher than the mouth; your nose.  Do that old trick
where you cup your palms over your mouth & nose, open wide and let out a
breath, then sniff.  )Come on, we've all done this at least once, say,
before a job interivew, seeing if we need a breath mint or something.  It
ain't THAT gross.)  Your breath will have a distinct smell, something hard
to describe.

One thing I also notice when in heavy ketosis; a supressed appetite.  That's
just what I'm looking for in my effort to drop another 35 pounds or so.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO