NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"E. J. Mumaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:34:11 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/00 4:51:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I am slightly surprised to read in my newspaper this morning (Guardian
 Online:  www.guardian.co.uk/guardian) that condoms contain milk protein!

Although rare, milk protein can also be found in the powder in latex gloves.
I would think that it would also be rare in condoms.  I couldn't find the
article you were referring to and I can't find the abstract that I read over
a year ago about the milk protein in Natural Rubber Latex gloves.  I have a
severe allergy to NRL and when I brought the subject of milk proteins in the
gloves up on my latex discussion list the manufacturers that participate
there all said they never use milk protein although it is allowed.  A powder
is necessary in the manufacturing process to release the NRL product from the
forms they are shaped on.  (simplified explanation).

Is this off topic?  I would think that anywhere that someone who is severely
milk allergic could/would come in contact with milk protein would be up for
discussion.

E.J.