NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:50:55 -0400
On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Joelle Garnick wrote:

> I am a newly diagnosed person with LI...  I am so confused about what I can
> and cannot eat.  For instance... can I have any type of cheese?  My sister
> said goats milk has no lactose.  Is this true?  And can I have chocolate?  I
> feel stupid but since I have had no dairy at all for the last couple months
> and actually feel great, I am afraid to try something and start the vicious
> cycle over again.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Someone else who's LI (rather than just allergic to milk) can probably
answer you better, but I'll give it a shot.

The cheese making process tends to consume lactose.  AFAIK, the harder the
cheese, the less lactose remains.  So, you may be able to handle hard
cheeses more easily than soft ones.

Milk chocolate will contain milk, which most likely means lactose.  Dark
chocolate can be (but isn't always) made totally free of dairy...so dark
chocolate containing no dairy would contain no lactose unless it was added
for some reason as a separate ingredient.

Do some searches on the internet and you'll probably find all the answers
you need.

 Jon Lewis *[log in to unmask]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |