CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:08:41 -0400
>But this is not the fault of the actual capitalists, they are merely
>competitors in the economic jungle. Human beings doing what human beings
>have always done, attempt to gain a measure of security against hunger and
>want. To gain control of their lives.

I agree, "the way people behave is more a product of the institutions in
which we are raised than of any inherent nature." -- Anarchist FAQ

>Don't blame them alone, we are all to blame collectively. Capitalists are a
>tiny minority, they cannot end capitalism alone, anymore than they can,
>alone, hope to preserve it when the rest of us decide to put it out of its
>misery. Progress is a task we are all responsible for. If we fail to take
>the steps necessary then we can hardly blame them for trying to make the
>best of a bad situation.

I also agree.  Though, if we were trying to eliminate slavery, I wouldn’t
say the slaves bare responsibility.  Everyone who is in the position to make
changes/choices, like those who own slaves and those who could own slaves,
bare that "collectively blame".

Milutin

--
Terror's tha product ya push