BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:22:24 -0600
"Gray, Tom" wrote:

> Speaking of hardwood millwork with old varnish stain.  I have a lot of that
> I need to touch-up and some new bead board I need to make match the adjacent
> c1930 work.   Any insight on this?
>
> A Cuz

I'd bet that the varnish is orange shellac....

in re Cold strip-

Having gotten some dry ice @ the local bio lab-
needed it to shrink a router bit shaft while i heated the bearing, to expand it,
on the clothes iron
I use in the garage for heat stripping paint and keeping my coffee warm, but I
digress....
put the can w/ the dry ice up on a shelf & late noticed that the paint below
bubbled up.
Subsequently have tried the technique on a door that at one time was varnished &
then rolled with latex paint by some yahoo.
dry ice in a small aluminum bread pan, kind of ironed it back and forth keep it
moving & I believe that what you're playing with is the different coefficients
of shrinkage between the surface coat.
This was another of the projects during my time is more dear than duct tape
phase so after the paint crackled I covered the area with duct tape, burnished
it down with something- I was smoking then so I suspect I used one of those
plastic oval cig lighters & pulled off a lot of the paint.... But I did manage
to burn myself on the  dry ice..

DD