BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 12:07:40 EST
In a message dated 1/1/2000 10:14:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< It has an article about a west side landlord who fled
 Vienna as a teenager in early 1939 and later worked with Churchill, but whose
 parents were gassed at Riga.   >>

Oooh, boy, does that sound like my kind of article!  I wonder how he knows
about the gassing in Riga (seems unlikely, but maybe they had gas vans
there).  One of my father's cousins (then 16 or 17 years old) was deported
from an orphanage in Frankfurt, supposedly to Riga (according to one of the
memorial books the Krauts put out in the 70's or '80s, which the landlord may
well have had access to), but was in fact machine-gunned with the rest of his
trainload of orphans at Kaunas about Thanksgiving of 1941.  Wouldn't surprise
me at all if there were Viennese on the same train, or another just like it.

Tell me again why I hope the next century (and millennium) will be better
than the last?

Ever hopeful, never optimistic,

Ralph