AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:11:49 -0600
John et al,

I would have suggested the kinds of web accessibility information people have been sharing, but they beat me to it!  What good luck!

One of the best explications on libraries and the ADA that I've ever seen is in a book called  A Directory of Adaptive Technology to Aid Patrons and Staff with Disabilities, published by LITA, a division of the American Library Association, in 1994.  It's Chapter 1, called "The Law: The Letter and the Spirit," by Dennis Norlin.  Other parts of the book are quite dated, of course, but this chapter stands the test of time.  And it's only eleven pages long!

Another publication you should take a look at, just in general on the topic of accessible libraries is Accessible Libraries on Campus: A Practical Guide for the Creation of Disability-Friendly Libraries, edited by Tom McNulty (of NYU) and published by the Accociation of College and Research Libraries (ACRL, another division of ALA (as I know you know), in 1999.  Much of the advice is applicable to all libraries and it's exceptionally well done.

Regards,
Audrey

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/27/00 11:18AM >>>
Greetings,

I am looking for the best three articles on library access for inclusion in
a packet of readings in a foundations class for library and information
science students. They could range outside libraries some. I have thought
that an article on "Libraries and the ADA", one on making libraries
accessible, especially regarding electronic resources and one on web access
might work.  I am very open to suggestions however.

John

John Moore
Information Coordinator

Texas Assistive Technology Partnership (TATP)
The University of Texas at Austin
SZB 252 D5100
Austin, Texas 78712-1290
(800) 828-7839
Fax (512) 471-7549

http://tatp.edb.utexas.edu

EASI's online workshop on adaptive technology,
Barrier-free Educational Technology, begins Jan. 31.
Making your info tech accessible is the right thing to do,
and it is the law.  For information, go to
http://www.rit.edu/~easi and click on workshops.

EASI's online workshop on accessible Web design,
Barrier-free Web Design, begins Feb. 22.
Making your Web pages accessible is the right thing to do,