AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leah Monger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:42:25 -0500
Hi:  We're in the process of building a new library, and I've been assigned
the task of compiling specifications for the furniture for the adaptive
technology lab that we're including in the new building.  Other than making
sure that workstation heights are adjustable, I'm not finding very much in
the literature to assist me.  Here's what we're considering so far.  I'm
particularly interested in furniture issues right now, but any criticisms
of the proposed software configurations would be welcome as well.  Any
suggestions or comments to help us out?  Thanks!

1) Workstation for CCTV

2) PC Workstation with 21" monitor, Arkenstone and scanner (which we
currently have), Jaws for Windows, ZoomText Xtra Level 2, VisAbility

3)  PC Workstation with 21" monitor, Dragon Dictate (which we currently
have), Jaws for Windows, ZoomText Xtra Level 2

4)  PC Workstation with 21" monitor, Alva Braille Display Terminal, 45 cell
desktop, Duxbury Braille Translation, Jaws for Windows, ZoomText Xtra Level
2

5)  Juliet Braille Printer with acoustical sound enclosure

6)  Large screen TV (50"?) and VCR with closed captioning

7)  Talking calculator

8)  2 4-track tape players (which we might want to configure to record from
a PC screen reading program)

At the moment, we're thinking that the TV should go on a TV/VCR cart.  For
the rest of the equipment, we're thinking of specifying workstation tables
with the following features:  motorized height adjustment with a range of
at least 25"-35" inches, 30"-60" table top space, adjustable keyboard
trays, rounded edges and corners, and locking casters for mobility.  There
is some concern that the workstation with a scanner should be on a larger
table.  Are 72" wide, height adjustable tables available?  Another thought
was an L-shaped workstation?  Are there L-shaped workstations that are
height adjustable?  We're also considering recommending that one of the PC
workstations be mounted on an ErgoPod.  Any thoughts on this idea?

The furniture bid is going to specify ergonomic chairs for the whole
building (maybe Aeron chairs?), and I think we're slated to get standard
issue chairs for the lab.  The only other furniture we're suggesting right
now is at least one, and maybe two, lockable storage cabinets for storing
headphones, braille paper, track balls, manuals, print brochures about the
lab, etc.

Thanks for your input!

Leah Monger
Head of Library Systems & Operations
Timme Library
Ferris State University
1201 S. State St.
Big Rapids, MI 49307
(231)591-2947

EASI's online workshop on adaptive technology,
Barrier-free Educational Technology, begins Jan. 31.
Making your info tech accessible is the right thing to do,
and it is the law.  For information, go to
http://www.rit.edu/~easi and click on workshops.