Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Winston Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 20:34:34 -0500
From: Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 1999 6:21 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Network connection problem

> This network problem has me really stumped!
> A friend has a Gateway PC with a PCI-type NetGear NIC installed.  The NIC
is
> connected to a small 4-port NetGear hub.  Also connected to the hub is a
> cable modem and a Toshiba laptop computer.  Each of two the computers has
> its own IP address assigned by the cable company and each share the same
> gateway address and same DNS entries.  Everything was working fine for
> several months.  Then the friend's wife decided she didn't like all of the
> wiring lying around the home office and wanted it hidden.  He re-routed
the
> wiring and in the process, lost the abiltiy for the Gateway to access the
> internet through the hub.  The laptop works fine connecting to the
internet
> via the hub.  The Gateway will connect to the internet only if it is
> directly connected to the cable modem.  I have done the following:
>
> Removed the NIC and re-installed it in another PCI slot.
>
> Ran the 'DIAG.EXE' DOS program supplied by the NIC manuf. - it passed all
> tests.
>
> Reinstalled Windows 98 and reinstalled the drivers for the NIC.
>
> Swapped and replaced cables on the hub and swapped cables between ports on
> the hub.
>         The laptop works on all ports - so it doesn't appear to be a port
problem.

> Checked and rechecked all Network settings in the Control Panel.
>
> The System Manager does not report any problems or conflicts.
>
> Since the NIC works when directly connected to the cable modem, I suppose
> that eliminates a NIC or a software problem.
>
> Since both the laptop and Gateway have their own IP addresses, there
should
> not be a conflict there.  Also, the cables connecting the Gateway to the
hub
> and hub to the cable modem are only 3 feet long each.  So there is not a
> distance problem.  The Gateway and laptop are not peers at this time (ie.
> are not sharing drives or printers).
>
> Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Gerald Rasmussen

Hmm, sounds like you've eliminated everything. We use straight (blue) cables
for hub connections and cross-over (gray) for computer-computer and computer
to modem. be sure to have a straight cable for connecting the Gateway to the
hub. If possible don't use the first or last ports on the hub. These ports
are sometimes used for the uplink. The uplink will connect to the cable
modem using a crossover cable and the other ports connect to the computers
using the straight cable.
Hope this helps. If you need more info, e-mail me direct.

Winston

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org