Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:16:07 -0800
7bit
From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
On Sunday, December 05, 1999 6:33 PM,  "Ronald G Jobe"
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I've just tried to add a 2nd floppy drive to an existing WIN98 system.
> The drive works fine under DOS mode, but WIN98 doesn't recognize
> the second drive.  Is there some trick to force the installation?

Please try the following trouble-shooting steps in this order.  After
opening the case (employ safety measures, proper grounding, etc. ....) and
properly mounting the diskette drive, you'll have to locate a gray ribbon
cable with a twist in one end (usually included with the new diskette
drive). This diskette interface cable allows the drive(s) to send data to
the system. You can connect as many as two diskette drives with one cable.
Three black connectors should appear on the cable. Two of the cables will be
close to one end, one on the cable and one at the end of the cable. Connect
the one on the end to the drive you want to designate as the A: drive (if
you only have one diskette drive, this will be an easy decision).  Make sure
that the red edge of the cable is on the same side of the connector as Pin
1. Attach the second connector (the one on the cable) to what will be the B:
drive.  Double-check to make sure the red edge of the cable is aligned with
Pin 1. The other end of the cable attaches to the diskette interface port on
the motherboard.  You'll have to locate Pin 1 and align the red edge of the
ribbon with the pin (see your system's documentation for the exact position
of Pin 1).  Plug the device into the power supply using the small plug for a
3.5-inch drive and the large white plugs for a 5.25-inch drive (if you still
have one).  Unlike high-capacity devices such as Zip drives, diskette drives
require no special software to communicate with the system.  Now you have to
tell the computer that it has another drive. This involves updating the
BIOS. Boot the computer and enter setup. This is done by pressing F1,
Ctrl-Alt-Esc, or some other combination. Your computer will tell you what
keys to hit right after you turn it on. After entering setup, go to the
Standard Setup, usually the first menu option. Your main floppy drive is A:
. Any second floppy drive is labeled B:. Using the appropriate keys,
activate your new drive.

You may need to type in the specs for the new drive. Most likely, it is a
1.44MB drive. Lastly, under another menu option, you might need to make sure
your BIOS drive swapping is turned off. This feature, through BIOS, reverses
the order of
your floppy drive letters so that their location next to the ribbon twist
does not matter. But, if you installed a drive after the twist, and this
option is
enabled, your Drive A: will not work.

To deactivate a drive you have removed, follow the same instructions, but
change the status of the drive to "None" or "Not installed." If you have
removed the primary floppy drive, you'll need to change the Boot Options to
"C: Only."

 When you are finished adjusting the BIOS settings, save the new setup, then
exit Setup. Reboot your system and it should now restart and hopefully, if
the device is plug 'n' play capable Windows 9.x will detect your drive and
it will be recognized. You can test it in the Explorer or File Manager by
checking a diskette.  I realize that you said that you were able to get the
drive to work under DOS-MODE but Windows does not recognize it.  Other list
members, I apologize in advance for my wordiness. HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>