BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Infarct a Laptop Daily\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:48:13 EST
In a message dated 1/18/00 11:50:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I know NJ revised the state Building Codes as regards renovation of
historic
 buildings fairly recently. I was just wondering, for anyone working here in
 NJ, how successful (or unsuccessful?) have these changes been in practice? >>

The latest reports I've heard say that rehab projects are way up in NJ as a
result of the new Rehabilitation Subcode. It has a section devoted to
historic buildings and easing many different kinds of requirements that would
destroy historic design or fabric. The state HPO person I was talking with
seems to think it has been an enormous success so far in preserving
buildings, reducing the cost of rehab projects, preserving neighborhoods.
Developers seem happy, preservationists seem happy, and the Governor seems
happy ... so far. Now, how often does THAT happen, folks?

In Montclair two years ago, a rare, intact, mid-19th C. worker's cottage
faced certain demolition because no use for it could be found under current
codes without totally wrecking it -- something that the developer didn't want
to do. Working together with the SHPO, the local HPC, the local government,
and the developer, we stalled for time long enough so that the Rehab Subcode
could go into effect, and from then on, it was smooth sailing. Now it is
again in use as a little home with a brand new kitchen addition at the rear.
Everyone is so happy, including the neighborhood, which really liked this
little cottage. It would never have happened without the new Subcode.

 -- Ready for Rehab under the section entitled "Historic"