BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Is this the list with all the ivy haters?\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:12:11 EST
In a message dated 1/6/00 12:30:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  In the good old days when researchers could get stack
>       passes, I remember being VERY nervous about walking around on these
>       odd, translucent floors.

Marilyn,

Stack passes & a desk. No longer? Many years ago I had a friend working on
her philosophy thesis that would sneak me into her desk area. I always
thought it was like the ultimate in library experiences to go from playing
with sorting stones out on the mall to hiding in the stacks.

A few years back we cleaned up a glass mezzanine floor in a retail space on
5th Ave. It was suported by a cast iron structure. The entire floor had been
painted over and long since forgotten to be a glass floor. I do not remember
the address, but I suspect the former tenant had been a Shakespeare & Co.
bookstore. Possibly Sharpshooter will know.

We worked on a carriage house on E. 38th that had a flat skylight made of
glass block. Our 1st project there was to build an enclosure to cover over
the skylight. The flat skylight leaked. Need for waterproof structure was to
protect artwork on interior including a bunch of Joseph Cornell boxes &
Wharhol brillo box, etc. You could walk on the skylight, though it was not
such a tough desicion as you could not see through the glass. The glass block
is 3" thick, 11.5 x 11.5 inch square. Set in an inverted aluminum T-frame. We
had to locate the original mnfg. of the glass block in order to replace a few
pcs., and were lucky enough that they had just enough of the block in a
corner of their warehouse. One pc. sits on top of a file cabinet in my office.

][<en