Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 13:43:43 -0800

Further to the discussion on high protein diets -
        I agree that we should all limit our intake of saturated fats and
eat a selection of fruit and veges. I have found that what type of meats I
eat also makes a difference. My diet consists of a lot of protein, but what
I eat is all organic - Beef, Buffalo, Chicken (skin off), Eggs, Cheese...
In addition, all the veges I eat are, for the most part, organic.

	I've found a huge difference in the way I feel by eating more
natural foods.  The meat I eat is very lean, and always leaves me feeling
great.  A few weeks ago my organic butcher was out of beef roasts, so I
went to a regular butcher and bought a very nice looking baron of beef
(Alberta, grain fed A1) It was tough as nails (probably had something to do
with the way it was slaughtered), had no flavour, and made feel sick.
Ended up giving it to my dogs.  Never again will I buy supermarket meat.

        I think that there is just as much harm being done to our bodies
through the use of medicated animal feed, antibiotics, growth hormones,
plant sprays and chemical fertilizers as there is from saturated fats.

        Also,in the way we eat. I'm sure most people still do the three
meals a day trip, with dinner being the biggest meal of the day. I've found
that grazing all day really works well for me. Fruit in the morning, couple
of hard boiled eggs later on, small bits of meat leftover from the day
before, carrott sticks, canned fish and what ever else is easy to transport
over the day. I have been gf for quite some time now, but my digestion was
still messed up, with frequent trips to the john. Since changing the way I
eat and what I consume, I feel I am finally recovering, and my confidence
is returning.

        So, Yeah, a high protein diet can be harmful, but if you use common
sense - trim off excess fats, remove chicken skin, eat smaller portions and
don't eat chemical laden products - I think it's OK. I have neither gained
or lost any weight by eating this way, but my mental state has much
improved.

Ron