From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 02:56:55 EST

Dear List,

My concept of this site is that I am a sort of manager of your
information...here to help you!  So please, if you have any information about
life in your town or one you have visited (anywhere in the world) as a Celiac
(esp. if you live in or have visted a popular destination such as large
cities) I would love to put this on the site to help other gluten free people
in traveling! Thanks to those who have already sent in info or are planning
to soon....

When responding please put the city/cities/country that the information is
relevant to in your Subject heading so I can file them. Here are some ideas
of how to answer (on the suggestion of listmember Margaret from down under!)-

1 Name of country
2 name of city/town , if applicable--it would be really nice to have many
'native' responses esp. if you are familiar with a larger city
3 shops to buy gf food/milk substitutes/medications etc.
4 particular brands to buy/links to pages with lists of gf foods
5 breakfast cereal
6 biscuits/nibbles snacks
7 hotels
8 restaurants, bars, fast foods--preferably if it is more than a 'one time'
     experience
9 contact organizationsiliac/allergy associations
10 good experiences with travel organizations/tours
11 translations of gluten free terminology (eg.in Dutch glutenvrij=gluten free)
12 LINKS to your homepage/association, travel links (I already have a
     currency converter, weather, a few restaurant cards, historical info on
     countries, translation links, embassies etc.), or anything you feel is
     relevant
13 the country's cuisine and it's gluten free proclivities --esp.  for places
     w/a low level of allergy/gluten awareness (asia/middle east/africa etc) (ie
     in America there is wheat flour hidden in everything!  While travelers to
     Italy seem to say it is relatively easy to get by) and things to watch out
     for (like Hungarian gravy-oooooo)/links to cooking sites giving an idea of
     what is involved in the cuisine (not necessarily specific gluten free
     sites...like on asian, turkish, ethiopian etc.)
14 other interesting things/or things one needs to be wary of when visiting
     other countries ie.  Americans debate about the gluten free status of
     'wheat starch' whereas this is acceptable in some other countries
15 ETC.!!!

Any one of these will be of help! I look forward to sending out the URL in a
few weeks.  This type of site takes time and effort to build and I would
appreciate any info you can lend!  It will be an unending project I hope will
help all of you at some point!

Thanks!

Saskia Smith
Seattle, WA, USA