Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 09:42:30 -0500

A couple of weeks ago, the following are the questions I posted to the
list. I will summarize at the end:

> I have been away for this listing for about a year but I am back because
> I need help. My question to other celiacs is:
>
> After being gluten-free for over 4 years, is it possible to have a
> spontaneous relapse even though the diet has been adhered to all this
> time? I looked in the archives and it was said it is very rare (I don't
> see myself as rare - just unique!) Said blood tests should be done to
> see if the gliadin antibodies are up. I also know an endoscopy should
> probably be done in conjuntion with the blood test.
>
> Are there any celiacs who had been faithful with their diet and had a
> spontaneous relapse?
>
> One other thing.  I just recently started clown school (see, I told you
> I am unique!)  and wonder about the talc. powder.  The dictionary says
> it is "a very soft, usually massive and foliated (whatever that means!)
> mineral, magnesium silicate, Mg2Si4O10(OH)2, with a greasy feel, used to
> make talcum powder, lubricants, etc."  Now, from what SUBSTANCE does
> this mag. silicate come from?  Does it come from a grain?  I am using
> Johnson's Baby Powder to set the makeup.  Does anyone know if powder is
> a problem to celiacs?

I received many answers to the questions and am very grateful. Some said
I could be eating something that now has gluten in it that didn't have
it before, some said it could have developed lactose intolerance (even
though, up to now, I had not had a problem,) some said the make-up could
have wheat or oat base in them.

I have since quit drinking skim milk and it has cleared up. Although I
have eaten some ice cream w/o a problem. I am drinking soy milk for the
moment. In a few weeks, I will try milk again to see what happens. If it
happens again, I will know it is the milk. By the way, I can still have
small amounts of cheese. Go figure!

I will continue to experiement - AGAIN!

Gastro doctor says if this continues, he will need to do another
endoscopy and take some biopsies.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I appreciate your help

Ellen "Starkles"