From:
Lisa Zafar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:27:20 EDT

Well, nothing like beating a dead horse but....

My 9 1/2 year old daughter had a biopsy a week ago Tuesday at Columbia
Presbyterian by Dr. Peter Green.  As many of you know, he is one of the top
celiac guys in the country and I really respect and like this guy.  I mention
this only because I want it understood that this biopsy was read by the best.
Well I was expecting a very "black and white" answer,but that is not what I
got.  Dr. Green called me last night to tell me that there *was* damage to
some parts of the intestine but it was not in stricked keeping with celiac.
He said he looked that report over for a second time with the pathologist
(who he says is the best in the world!) and neither one are willing to say if
it is or isn't.  He was honestly stumped.  So I can either wait and redo her
biopsy in 6 months to a year or I can have her go gluten free.  I should
mention that we do not have classic symptoms.  I am newly diagnosed as of
May.  Our symptoms tend to be constipation, fatigue, short stature, joint
pain, gas, bloating and intermittent stomach pain.  The only other person in
my family who has celiac (so far ) is my brother's child who was diagnosed 3
years ago at age 3.  My other daughter had blood work done which came back
the same as this daugher in question, with the Antigliadin IgG elevated but
the Antigliadin IgA and the Antiendoysium IgA were both negative.  So even
the bloodwork is inconclusive.  I am feeling very frustrated.  At one time my
daughter had elisa and rast testing and there were "high numbers" next to
gluten, casein and milk , I believe.  So that is my story.  What do you guys
think I should do???????????

Yours in good health,

Lisa Zafar
Orange County, NY