Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:35:25 -0500
From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>

I'm going on vacation so wanted to get this summarized as soon as possible.

Thanks to all who replied.  I will try some of them before next
Thanksgiving.

Ginny
Here is what I made for Thanksgiving, and it was really good:

Cornbread Stuffing Casserole

1 bag Gluten-Free Pantry Yankee Cornbread Mix
2 medium onions, diced
1-1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 head garlic
4 links of gluten-free sausage, pierced with a fork and simmered in hot
   water for 10 minutes
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 14-oz. can gluten-free chicken broth
2 to 3 carrots, diced
salt and pepper to taste
3 stalks celery, diced

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
Bake cornbread according to instruction on package.  Once cooked, crumble
cornbread and combine with rice in a large bowl.

Trim 1/4 inch from the top of garlic bulb (just enough to expose tops of
cloves).  Remove loose, dry skin and put cut-side down on baking dish.
Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Bake for about 50 minutes.  Cool.

Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and saute carrots and celery 2 minutes.  Add
onions and saute until vegetables are soft.  Add green pepper and saute
another 1 minute.  Add to rice mixture.

Rinse sausage in cold water.  Remove skin and crumble sausage.  Saute in pan
until light brown.  Add to rice-vegetable mixture.  Cool garlic and squeeze
garlic flesh into mixture.

Heat chicken broth and pour over rice mixture.  Stir well until moistened.
Check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.  Pack loosely into 9 X 13
inch baking pan.  Can be refrigerated overnight at this point.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes. (If top is getting too brown,
cover lightly with foil.)
I have been very successful using cornbread as a basis.  There are many
recipes...just don't make it sweet.  I bake it in an cast iron skillet
so it is very crusty.  cut it up and let it dry out and then proceed as
usual.  Sage goes particularly well with the cornbread.  My family
doesn't miss the bread stuffing.

I use SOME  gf bread cubes dried well in the oven,  one recipe of cornbread
( the best is from
Dietary Specialties). I also use some Bob Evans Sausage, celery, onion, GF
chicken broth. How much depends on the size of your turkey.   This has been
a very successful recipe and I serve it to all my guests every year.

Sometimes I also add some dried cranberries.  The trick is the cornbread,
which adds a graininess to to it instead of mushiness.  Even before I knew
I had CD I made my dressing this way, with regular bread of course.  It is
very flavorful.