From:
Thea Drew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:44:11 -0500

Hi,
Thanks for all your responses. Of all the respondents 4 people would not
eat something containing wheat starch; 5 people had tried it, liked it
and had no ill effects; and 3 tried it (or another mix containing wheat
starch) and liked it, and got very sick.

References for further research (info sent to me):

---"Wheat Starch Intolerance in Patients with Celiac Disease", Journal
of the American Dietetic Association, June 1997.

---The front page of the Spring 1995 issue of the Celiac News from the
Canadian Celiac Association.

---And this from the FAQs of a celiac resource www.gluten-free.com    :

"How is wheat starch made? Why is some starch said to be more toxic than
others?

Most of the wheat grain and of white flour is made up of starch
granules. Starch granules make up about 75% of grain or of white flour.

In the processes used to make wheat starch, a small amount of the gluten
protein (actually mostly the gliadin fraction, but not entirely), sticks
to the surface of the starch granules. The amount depends on the washing
method, how many times the granules are washed, and factors like that.

Wheat starch can be made very low in surface protein and it is only the
surface protein that is of concern (there are some internal granule
proteins, but we are pretty sure that they are not gluten proteins). "

Again, thanks. I generally received polite responses, whether people
were encouraging about the bread mix, or warning me away form it. As a
newly diagnosed celiac and relativley new list member, I appreciate all
of it. I do, and everyone should, "verify this information before
applying it to your situation," as everyone's is different.

Very happy holidays,
Thea