Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:49:56 -0400
From:
"Dorothy L. Kellstrand" <[log in to unmask]>

The responses regarding this additive.

>Can anyone tell me what Glutcone Delta Lactone, is derived from.  It is
>an additive in some commercial G/F bread products.
>
>An elderly Celiac, sensative to many things, in our support group needs
>to know this before consuming this type of bread product.
>
>Thanks,
>Dot in central Massachusetts

1. If she's just concerned about the Lactone, it is just any of a group of
internal esters derived from hydroxy acids. Lactic acid is the chemical
that is generated in your muscles when you exercise; it makes your muscles
feel tired. It's not from milk.

Delta is simply the fourth in a sequence. Hence probably the fourth
molecule in a compound or formula.

Don't know what glucone or glutcone is (you spell it both ways). But there
is little chance that it has anything to do with gluten. Also there's a
difference between gluten, from wheat, and glutin, meaning glue. So
glutinous rice or corn does not have gluten in it.

2. It is NOT a dairy product - ther is no casein or dairy in it at all -
it is simply a NATURAL levening agent!!!!

3. Its another form of Baking Powder that reacts slowly.

4. A lot of our breads do contain this ingredient here at Glutino.com.  GDL is
is an inner ester of gluconic acid. It freely dissolves in water and is
sparingly soluble in alcohol to yield an equilibrium solution of gluconic
acid and gamma and delta lactones.

Formula......C6 H10 O6   It is used in bread and bakery products in
conjunction with other leavening ingredients for gradual liberation of
carbon dioxide.