Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:26:46 -0700

At 01:36 PM 9/15/99 -0400, Carl Douthit wrote:

>You make the statement that "There seems to be general agreement that any
>coeliac should be able to eat up to 10 milligrams of gluten per day
>without any measurable problems." This is NOT THE RECOMMENDATION OF U.S.
>CELIAC GROUPS OR U.S. DOCTORS SUCH AS DR. MURRAY. This is an international
>forum, and generalizations that are regional (European in this case) need
>to be stated as such. Just as GF foods need to be clarified as to the
>country of origin, so do statements of general recommendations. Not
>everyone on this forum is at the same level of medical, scientific, or
>celiac awareness.

Just to back up David's statement that, "There seems to be general
agreement that any coeliac should be able to eat up to 10 milligrams of
gluten per day without any measurable problems," I will mention that I have
run across two different sources (not studies) that use that exact figure
also. And those are the only figures I've ever seen as to the safety of any
amount of gluten. So perhaps David is correct when he says there is
"general agreement." That doesn't mean, of course, that it's an absolute
and guaranteed safe -- only that there seems to be some agreement.

Had David stated that it was positively safe to eat 10 mg per day, I'd have
disagreed also, but there's a big difference between agreement and
"tru-p-p-h-t-h" :) -vance