From:
Bulmer, Karen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:27:39 -0700

I had contacted General Mills, via their website, about the new labeling on
French Toast Crunch.  This has been ongoing since early December.

My son has been eating the cereal.  When I went to buy more the box had a
disclaimer below the list of ingredients that stated contains wheat.  I
contacted the company about it as he had been eating it and I couldn't find
wheat in the list of ingredients and the ingredients hadn't changed.  They
stated that the wheat was always in the cereal but they had new labeling
requirements.

I again contacted them as my concern was that they were stating there was
wheat in the product but that it did not appear in the ingredient list.  If
they had stated in the ingredient list ALL the ingredients there would be no
need for a disclaimer or new labeling as it would disclosed all ingredients
correctly.

I have since received the following letter (sorry I did not keep my original
correspondence) from the company.

January 25, 2000

Dear Ms. Bulmer:

Thank you for contacting us regarding French Toast cereal.

The wheat starch is not found in the list of ingredients because it is a
component of one of the ingredients and as per the Canadian Food and Drug
Regulations it is not declared. Communications like yours make us aware of
consumer concerns and interests. We will review your comments with the
people responsible for the labeling of this product.

Consumer comments are important factors in many of our decisions.  We
appreciate the time you took to share your concern with us.

Sincerely,

Manon Brisebois
Consumer Services

Does anyone have an email address for the Canadian Food and Drug that I
could forward this to.  I am concerned about the ruling referred to in the
letter about non-disclosure of ingredients if it is a component of another
ingredient???

Also does anyone have the email or website address for the US Food and Drug
so I can compare the rulings about disclosure of ingredients.

Thanks

KAREN BULMER
    Systems Analyst     Phone: (780) 482-8660
    Information Systems Pager:  (780) 445-1320
CAPITAL HEALTH  Fax:       (780) 482-8110
EDMONTON, ALBERTA         E-mail: [log in to unmask]