Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:36:55 -0400
From:
Carl Douthit <[log in to unmask]>

I'm posting this to the entire forum because of the confusion it might
cause for non-European celiacs.

First, I want to thank you David for the effort in trying to find SOME
information on safe (if any) levels, wheat starch, etc. I have some
concerns, however, with the implications that your post seems to make.

This is only a single study--nearly 15 years old. So much has changed in
celiac research over the past 15 years. So much new has been found I
can't help but wonder if the reason you didn't find later confirming
studies is that this is no longer considered a valid point because of
other, new, information.

I don't think it is responsible to suggest that purified wheat starch is
"OK" based on this type of evidence. There needs to be a wide body of
scientific research backing this before recommending eating patterns
which MIGHT lead to increased cancer risks. I realize that this issue is
not clear, and that is my point exactly.

You make the statement that "There seems to be general agreement that
any coeliac should be able to eat up to 10 milligrams of gluten per day
without any measurable problems." This is NOT THE RECOMMENDATION OF U.S.
CELIAC GROUPS OR U.S. DOCTORS SUCH AS DR. MURRAY. This is an
international forum, and generalizations that are regional (European in
this case) need to be stated as such. Just as GF foods need to be
clarified as to the country of origin, so do statements of general
recommendations. Not everyone on this forum is at the same level of
medical, scientific, or celiac awareness.

Carl