From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:21:07 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Here is the question I asked recently:

"I have been using a no-ad (generic) brand sun tan lotion and have just
discovered that it is not GF as I had thought. I was wondering what sort
of side effects people have had from this sort of skin exposure (duration
of a few weeks). I feel extremely tired off and on during the day and have
been very irritable especially in the mornings. I know this could be many
things but I wonder if the group might have some info specific to skin
exposure to gluten from the lotion. I have of course discontinued use but
am still tired a few days later. I imagine it takes a few days to leave
your system!"

In the meantime I got a reply from London Drugs Head Office that none of
their sun tan lotion products contain gluten. This might be helpful for
those living in Canada.

Here are the list member replies I got:

-My experience so far leads me to believe that most generic brands are
contaminated. The reason is probably cost. It is very cheap to "fill" up
products with cheap cereal and it's by-products. The American food and drug
market is saturated with fillers because the bottom line in this country is
profit. Europe is way ahead of us! I tried Banana Boat suntan lotion with no
problems. Neutrogena works well, too. The reaction I got was DH sores,
itching, and fatigue.

-Your suntan lotion doesn't have DMSO (dimethylsulfoxone) in it, does it?  If
so, you have been putting any gluten in that suntan lotion directly into your
blood stream - definitely something your body would detect - could be the
reason your energy is low!

-Dr. Joseph Murray at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN, told me that you don't
have to worry about the gluten contact in anything that you are not going to
ingest.  So if you don't put it by your mouth, you don't have to worry!

-if you aren't allergic to wheat you won't have any problem at all! Well,
if you got Hermaditis of course there's a problem but if you are "just"
Celiac no need to worry!

Thanks very kindly for the replies!

Lissy