Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:21:22 -0500

Original Message:
    Just wondering about the list members with multiple food sensitivities.
I just discovered a few months ago that gluten was a problem for me.  Closed
sinuses, migraines, muscle aches.  Then milk protein started giving me the
same reactions.  Now soy seems to be bothering me.

     How many of you guys out there are following a similar pattern?  Is
this common?  Will I ever be able to reintroduce dairy or soy?  What's next?

     What foods are least allergenic?  I was just getting used to soy
replacing dairy and now this.  Any suggestions for good rice based products?
I really miss creamer in my coffee.

PART I:  SUMMARY

I'm experiencing the same thing.  I've cut way back on diary products.
Coffee and tea seem to cause a gout-like reaction, so I try to stay away
from them.  Recently, I stopped eating peanuts.  That seemed to dry up my
sinuses a lot.  However, the problem has started back up in the past several
days.  I cooked something that contains cashews so now I'm wondering if I
need to stop all nuts.

Read www.paleodiet.com
Also, get the book NEANDERTHIN.  I got it at Amazon.
After I got on paleo, my arthritis, everything, went away.

    I am sensitive to gluten, corn, soy and dairy. I primarily replace milk
with coconut milk. While my gut is readjusting I am also careful about the
vegetables and fruit I eat.

I use nondairy creamer in my coffee. If you don't have a problem with
corn, you might look into it! (ie, like Cremora or CoffeeMate).

And, yes, dairy and soy are right up there with gluten! You might be able
to add cheese back in after your stomach settles down with GF eating.

I can really identify with the problem you are having. It
seems that I have become more and more sensitive to foods -- soy and
dairy are huge ones for me. I used to eat tofu before I developed celiac
disease and loved it. Also loved yogurt, but even that causes gastro
problems now. I would love to see the responses you received from other
people on the list. I just saw a doctor who is into natural healing
methods and he suggested healing the leaky gut problem (which is what he
thinks is causing the reaction to foods) with HCL with pepsin. He said to
take one 10 grain capsule (not tablet) with a meal and see if it helps.
If it doesn't bother your stomach, you increase it to 2 with each meal.
After you've been on it awhile, he said to up it to 4. If you go to a
good health food store they will know what HCL with pepsin is.

sensitivities for about 15 years, along with the chemical sensitivities. The
one thing that I have learned over the years-- everyone is different and
their sensitivities follow different patterns. I finally discovered that
foods that really bothered me I could gradually    reintroduce at a later
date. I stayed off corn for about a year and now can eat it. The time
interval differs with each food. Some foods I have never regained, like
lettuce. It is important to rotate your foods every four days.m This often
allows your body clear out the culprits. If you don`t know about the rotation
diet, there are many books about it.

I know what you mean about multiple sensitivities.  Gluten and dairy (fat
and lactose) are my Big Bad Evil substances, but soy and I don't get
along well in large amounts either.  Corn is suspicious for me, too.
I put gf vanilla extract in coffee to smooth it out.  I don't know how
that would substitute for creamer (which I never liked, personally) but
it does have a similar mellowing function.  Perhaps syrups in place of
sugar (if you're a sugar person) would help.

Rice is good.  I've also had good luck using potato, sweet potato, and
winter squash as the basis of a meal.  Pureed potato (in stock, lots of
onion optional) or pumpkin makes a good cream soup base).  Lentils are
mild enough to use as a pilaf-type-thing alone.  I've heard (frustrating)
that the more you can vary the less likely you are to keep developing
sensitivities.

Most celiacs are lactose intolerant untill they get the gut well. The villi
in the small intestine are where the lactase that allows us to digest
lactose is produced. When those villi are damaged as in celiac, then we
cannot produce the lactase and hence cannot digest lactose. In fact, the
lactose will further damage the gut just as gluten will. After a year or
two, many celiacs can reintroduce lactose, if they don't overdo it.
If your gut is damaged to point that you have "leaky gut" syndrome, then it
allows minute particles of whatever you eat to escape into the bloodstream,
hence causing new allergies. Generally this happens with foods that you eat
often. Sometimes after avoiding that food for a year or more while the gut
heals, you can reintroduce it again, but not in large quantities. Again,
soy can also damage the villi in the small intestine just as gluten and
lactose can. Those are the only three substances that will do such damage.

I too had problems with lactose (at least thought I did - had problems with
everything several months ago!).  I had always drunk coffee with milk, but
eliminated it completely and only drank black coffee.  After I started
feeling a little better I went for a lactose test, early this past summer.
The result was negative!  I couldn't believe it.  So, I slowly reintroduced
milk products into my diet (cheese, ice cream, etc), but never went back to
milk in my coffee!  Guess I got so used to it, and it actually tastes better
to me now!  Soy I've been afraid to reintroduce.  I never used many soy
products in my diet, except for soy sauce, so haven't missed it terribly.

 I think when your system is so damaged it's extra sensitive.  A simple diet
with foods that are easy to digest is the way to go in the beginning (and
lactose seems to be a problem with many celiacs).

I have been on GF diet since July 1998 and have lactose intolerance too.  my
main complains were about itchy skin problems and even with the diet they did
not dissapear.  so I had more food allergy tests done and find out that I
have been also allergic to soy lecithin and citric acid .  I dont eat
anything premixed or made and cook my own from fresh fruits and vegetables
and plain meat.  Its hard but it helps for healing faster.  I take digestive
enzyms and zrytec syrup.They are the must for my cure...

The same thing happened to me.  It broke my heart to realize once I
eliminated gluten that soy was giving me the same reaction.  I am, however,
thrilled with Blue Diamond's Breeze.  It's almond milk.  I also can no longer
eat cinnamon.

    I find that in addition to gluten I have difficulty with soy, tree nuts
and the almond family of fruits (peaches, plums, etc.), watermelon, and
kiwi. This summer, after 2 years in becoming more and more gluten free, I
found that I can have the nuts and fruits in small amounts if they are
cooked and skinned (if at all possible). I have not tried the soy yet as the
reaction is different.

I am on this diet for 25 yrs and I seem to be very sensitive to other
foods as well. I have been allergic to milk since I was in my 20s and
never have been able to go back to having diary products. My main
symptom is like gluten, diarrhea and a lot of gas and spasms. I also had
bone pain when I was young and never knew what it was from.

I use DariFree as a milk substitute in coffee, I find it too sweet to
use in cereal. It is made from potatoes. I find I can eat soy products.
I think it is easier to say what most people are allergic to than not.
I cannot eat citrus, vinegar or anything that is fermented or mushrooms
because of the mold allergy. Lots of foods have hidden ingredients. Eggs
are a very allergic food as well as shell fish and some fish.  Food dye
is an allergen as well as msg and other additives and food dyes.

PART II WILL SOON FOLLOW.