Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 14:55:35 EDT
From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>

All you butter lovers listen up....for lactose intoleranct butter lovers you
may want to try the clarified butter suggestion sent to me which I've placed
at the bottom of this page--this was sent to me--I am not lactose intolerant.

responded....one reported a reaction (quoted below) and another said it was
listed as dubious on a website. I checked Abigail's updated website and she
says: http://geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-nolonger.html  <<Land O
Lakes can no longer guarantee that ANY of the products are gluten free
(1-800-328-4155) 8/23/99 . >>  If you use this product I would call the
company to double check.

Other butters listed were Tillamook, Challenge, Darigold, Dairyland, Costco
brand butter, Cabots, Organic Valley,

The user of Organic Valley butter noted that it is free of the flowing agents
sometimes found in salt, which can contain gluten.  It is found in Fred Meyer
stores.  Which brings up another issue: some of these brands may only be
found regionally, so don't be frustrated if you can't find them--for example
Tillamook is made in Oregon and I have only seen it on the West Coast.  I
believe the case may be the same with Darigold, and possibly the Costco
butter (the company started in WA I think, tho I know it is in other regions
now).

An extra reminder for butter lovers is to watch out for 'natural flavors',
and annato coloring if you are sensitive....and above all follow up rec's
with a double check--especially for you Land o' Lakes lovers!
Thanks to all those who replied, even if it was about margarine--btw more
than one person said margarine was very very bad and one said it was better
than butter.  I am not going to get into this debate!!!

Saskia the Butter Lover

" I have seen on at least one website of GF foods that Land O Lakes won't
guarantee any of their products to be GF anymore.  That, of course, doesn't
mean that they aren't".
//////////////

We usually use Challenge butter without any problem.  One day my husband
grabbed land o'lakes instead.  Our four celiacs got sick.  Land o' Lakes says
it's gf.  But there was nothing else different in what we ate.  I thought
perhaps it had a higher lactose content than the Challenge butter, but two of
my celiacs aren't very sensitive and are definately NOT lactose intolerant.
So we just don't use Land o' Lakes.  I can't really say if it really was a
gluten problem or not, but it's not worth the risk.
//////////////////

I don't have any trouble with any of the butter brands as long as they
don't have any added ingrediants. Tillimook is good. Many dairies add
coloring seasonally. I just check to see what it is. Tumeric is a natural
herb used by many of the dairies, and I have no problem with that. Just
read the ingredients.

My nutritionist told me that some people who are severely loctose
intolerant, or allergic to milk (as I am), need to clarify the butter
before they use it. This removes the milk solids (the protien, which is
what bothers most people). This can be done either in a pan on the stove or
in a microwave oven. Just heat the butter until the milk solids go to the
bottom and then pour off the pure butter fat that remains on top (that's
what you use). You still  get all the great flavor of the real butter.