Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:52:09 -0400

Hey there,

Hi my name is Amber, I have introduced myself to a few people but
I noticed that there are quite a few people on this list, so I am going
to formerly introduce myself.

Like I said my name is Amber,  I am a single teen mom of a very
beautiful 13 month old baby boy just recently diagnosed with
celiac.  Quite scary for me.

After he had been sick for around 3 weeks, and after taking him to
the hospital quite a few times I finally got some answers, and was
told to put him on a GF diet, he was already on lactose free as well.

My income is quite low, and while I am trying desperately to get
some more money for this diet, I have some questions I would like
to ask.

1) Is it true that you get a tax credit in the USA if you are on a GF
diet, I have heard some rumors over the internet and I was
wondering I live in Ontario and was also wondering if the
government offered a similar thing here.

2) if anyone has any GF, Lactose free recipes, and would be able
to email them to me, it will be greatly appreciated, like I said my
income is quite low and I can't afford a GF cookbook right now,
though I am hoping to pick one up within the next few weeks. Also
if anyone needs a cookbook, there is one that I know of, called The
Gluten Free Gourmet, and i have been given very high ratings from
a support worker I have who also has celiac.

3)  If anyone out there could give me some tips on making GF
eating fun for a 13 month old, help me out, he doesn't seem to
want to eat some of the food, and I taste most everything he eats, I
noticed he wouldn't eat the potato pasta, but I didn't really like it
either so I didn't push it, but things like cookies, breads, muffins,
etc, I'm having trouble trying to get him to eat as much as he
should.  And he is gaining weight and thriving, but I still worry that
he's not getting enough.

4) Does anyone on here bake their GF breads, etc, and if so, how
do you do it, do you just have one big baking day and then freeze
stuff, or do you bake maybe 3 things at a time, once a week, just
curious.

If you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it, I'm having quite a
few problems trying to get my son and I back on a regular scedule,
like before, and I can't really afford to buy bread at the prices of GF,
if baking could minimize the price by a little bit, than that would be
great, but I've never really been that much of a baker, and I'm kinda
scared to try, I don't want to ruin bread, muffins and cookies, at the
price we have to pay for the ingrediets

Hopefully, once I buy that cookbook I can post a few recipes for
you guys, I'm sure you'll appreciate it as much as I will,

Also if anyone has children with celiac, could you please email me,
I have a few more questions about the children aspect of it all.  I'm
getting so confused reading lables. and then sometimes I still
mess up.

Thanks a lot,

Amber