From:
Harlen Linke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:44:29 -0500
At 02:08 PM 11/27/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Someone made a computer for a student of mine, but he
>did not receive any software with it. By software I
>mean no Windows 98 cd, no sound card software, no
>modem software and no video software. He received only
>the software of his dvd drive. Okay, now he wants to
>know which hardware devices are installed on his
>computer, because his modem does not work very well.
>Is there a site on the net where he could scan his
>computer to check which devices is installed on his
>computer?

Hello...

   I do not know of a site that would do that, unless it was a "named"
brand and hadn't been altered in anyway. Fortunately, (or "Un", depending
on how you look at it) it's not.

   What he will have to do in look in System Properties and check and see
what devices are listed under, Video, Sound, Modem, CD, etc. If this
doesn't give any clue, he will have to open the box and check each card
individually. Once armed with this info, check out the web sites for the
latest drivers. Most will have files to extract onto a disk to use as
driver disks. There are other programs out there that will identify the
cards on your system, as well as a whole lot of other, useful info... but
their names excape me for the moment... anyone else give it a go?

                                                        Harlen Linke

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html