From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:28:24 EST
'm not sure if this question should be on PCSOFT or PCBUILD.  But here's the
problem:  a client upgraded his Win95 to Win98 using the upgrade CD.  He
reports that since he did that he's encountered numerous video display
problems, software application problems and misc error messages.  Now his
computer won't boot at all.

It's a Packard Bell 75 Mhz 32mg RAM 1.1gig HD with PB standard modem/video
card.

At first I used the Win98 emergency startup disk to get it to boot but that
didn't work.  It wouldn't recognize the CD nor C:.  Next I tried a DOS 6.25
boot disk and I could read A: and B:.  Funny thing about that is there is no
B drive.  There's only C, D, and A.  B and A are the same.  Using a Norton
A/V v5.0 rescue disk no viruses are reported.  I still can't access C.  I
tried to format C but it reports an I/O error.  I ran scandisk on C: and it
only got to 2% and then reported it was out of memory.

Is the HD bad?  I checked cables/power and they are all plugged in.  RAM is
secure also.  How can I access C drive?  Normally, using a boot disk I have
no problems getting to C but this one's got me stumped.  I appreciate any
help.

Kevin Nowicki

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html