From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:05:10 -0400
Susan,

Illegal operation problems are RARELY caused by the file named in the error
message.  Trying to run down what application "owns" the file will get you
nowhere since it's just the program that _found_ the problem and not the one
that _caused_  the problem.

In most cases, this problem results from installing an application which
overwrites a newer system DLL with an older version.  The quickest solution
may be to just run the Windows 98 updater (click START -- WINDOWS
UPDATE).... OR....figure out what software you have installed recently (read
that as: just before the errors started), go to the web site for that
software and get the latest version.

A longer and more involved solution would be to figure out which DLL is out
of date. Some of the more common DLLs that get overwritten with older
versions are:
Advapi32.dll
Mfc40.dll
Mfc42.dll
Msvcrt.dll
Msvcrt40.dll
Olepro32.dll
Wininet.dll

Good luck,
Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====