From:
Gregg Pfaff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:45:45 -0500
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to give me that info. Yes, I guess I left some blanks to
fill in. You are correct about the data on the other drive, I don't need it. Also I'm
running win95. I'm not sure what is meant by win9x ? I'm new to this but, learning.
My bad HD is a 1.6GB and the other used HD I have is a 1GB. If  i'm going to go
through this I may purchase a new HD of more capacity. I do want to save the data on
my bad drive. Is that what the xcopy will do?
Thankyou again,
Gregg

Donald Gaither wrote:

> Hi,
>         Bad sectors appearing can be serious.  Sometimes they can be fixed with a
> Low-level Format (you can download a program from Seagate (who bought
> Connor), or you can replace the hard drive.  You haven't mentioned if you
> are wanting to save the information on the other drive, but since you are
> planning on using it, I will assume not, I am also assuming you are running
> Win9x.  Install the new hard drive. You don't have to Fdisk it, but I
> usually do (Fdisk->Delete Partions->Create Partitions).  Next, format it
> (format d:).  Boot your computer into Windows.  In a Dos window type "xcopy
> c:\*.* d:\ /r/i/c/h/k/e/y" without the quotes.  Once it gets done, switch
> the new hard drive to Primary Master, and either remove the old hard drive
> and or set it to the settings you had the new hard drive on.  This will
> also allow you to Low-level Format your old hard drive without fear of
> loosing data (verify it is on the new hard drive first though, just to be
> safe).
>
> Donald Gaither
>
> PS  using xcopy in this way can cause some system instabilities, though I
> have never had or personally known anyone who has ever had a problem.  Use
> this method at your own risk.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org