From:
Louise Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:45:16 -0500
Gatsby,

Apparently your friend has inherited a metabolism unable to process the
nucleo-proteins found in purine rich foods. Organ meats, red meat, dark
poultry meat, darker fleshed fish, asparagus and spinach are all high in
purines. These unused purines create a build-up of uric acid in the blood
stream. This can cause gout. This would be what is called an
"Agriculturalists" metabolism- someone slightly more adapted to Neolithic
foods.

Those of us with a "Hunter-Gatherer" type metabolism (probably most of us
on this list) use purines for fuel and need them for optimal health.

An extensive explanation of this (with references) can be found in Robert
McFerran's book.  The first few (6?) chapters of his soon-to-be published
book are available on-line at the web site on the "Ask Dr. Stoll " board @

http://bcn.net/~stoll/archives/arthritis.html

Louise