From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:26:00 -0400
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Don and Rachel Matesz wrote:

> Re:  But of HGs of the past...we don't know their readings.
> It's too bad Weston Price didn't test cholesterol levels rather than for
> cavities..
>
> Actually he did and others have as well.  I believe some of Steffanson's
> works list the cholesterol readings of eskimos on their native diet.  As I
> recall, the Eskimos, Masai, and other primitive groups on their native diets
> (free of the foods of commerce!) averaged 130-140 ml/dl  (Is that how it's
> expressed?  Don't recall...but I know the number stands.

I believe it's mg/dl.  It's interesting that Stefansson's own
cholesterol numbers did not fall to anything like those levels
during his Bellevue experiment.

> Maybe some people
> run into problems with cholesterol going up (if indeed it's a problem)
> because they fail to meet their EFA needs with their current selections.
> Research indicates that EPA and DHA have a favorable effect on blood lipids.

Actually the research is ambiguous.  There is some research that
suggests that EPA raises LDL cholesterol, but apart from the
effect on cholesterol, higher EPA and DHA intakes appear to be
correlated with reduced heart disease rates.

Interestingly, it wasn't long ago that I was advised to ignore
studies that correlate red meat and colon cancer.  Does the same
advice apply to the studies that correlate EPA and DHA with a
cardiac protective effect?

> Todd, maybe you could try eating fish 1x a day and then red meat or foul at
> the other two meals....and including plenty of fibrous, leafy greens and
> such, ifyou are not already.

I get plenty of fish oil, from supplements and sardines.  Plenty
of greens, too.  I do not think my elevated cholesterol is caused
by a lack of omega-3 fats.  It will be interesting to see if my
experiment in reduced portions of meats makes a difference.

Todd Moody