NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:06:33 +0000
At 12:06 10/12/98 EST, you wrote:
>My daughter drank goat's milk very successful after being diagnosed with an
>allergy to cow's milk protein.  She drank it for three years with no problem
>whatsoever.  The problem arose when the dairy went out of business!  Now
she's
>drinking soy milk.

Hi
many people have written re goat's milk and cheese instead of cow's milk
products and of not having a reaction. It is important to note that some
people (my daughter included) can tolerate goat's milk products mainly
because of the protein molecules being smaller and passing easily into the
system.

Yes goat's milk contain lactose but I have yet to find if the sugar
structure in goats milk ( and sheeps milk) are the same as for cow's milk -
one for the biochemists out there. Lactose intolerance is an intolerance
not an allergy, the reaction to milk is different and although my daughter
can drink about half a pint of goat's milk a day I wouldn't risk a quarter
that in cow's milk simple because of the physical and psychological
distrubances she has when faced with cow's milk. My daughter can also eat
buffalo mozarella cheese on pizza, but put a bit of cheddar there and
problems occur.

The tests for allergies are clearfor milk etc. but I have yet to find a
good test for intolerance other than elimination and recording. The UK
consumer magazine Which? looked at alternative allergy tests and slated
them all as a waste of money.

May I take this opportunity to wish all the mailing  season greetings and a
safe and health New Year, NO visits to the ER or A and E (UK).
Alan

      UK's only site for the Lactose Intolerant try....
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/park/gfm11/index.htm