C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kyle Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 13:39:04 -0400
Denise D. Goodman wrote:

> Kyle Said, "Denise, pardon my probing, but what kind of "pain-killers" were
> you
> taking?"  Lorocet/Lorcet (sp?) 10/650.  My script was up to 4 X's daily as
> needed, but like I said before, I could only take 1/2 at a time, usually no
> more than 1 whole pill a day.  FL's DEA rulings are just as sticky as Ohio,
> I'd guess.  I figure the reason I've been getting the drugs for so long
> without question was because I'd refill infrequently.  A one month supply,
> 120 pills, would last me upwards of 4 months or more.

Well, Lorcet and Lortab both contain very similar synthetic opiods
(hydrocodone vs. hydrocodone bitartrate).  I'm really surprised at the
10/650 configuration as that is probably double the amount (10mg) of the
narcotic that you would need for moderate pain.  No wonder you felt
gorked out when you took the stuff.  Plus, especially on an empty
stomach, these narcotics often produce nausea.  Don't worry about
physical addiction at 1 tab/day.  You're not even close to the
threshold.  Psychological addiction might be another matter...

Re: the pain/spasticity relationship, I would think that's a given.  You
might ask your MD about the new NSAIDS that produce little/no gastric
distress.  That is, if your HMO/insurance has them in their
formulary--Mine doesn't (Guv'ment job bennies sure ain't what they use
to be).

-Kyle