C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:16:13 -0800
Wouldn't it be great if their were more depictions of
people with disabilities in just everyday roles.  I
was veery impressed many years ago with an episode of
Qunicy.  In one of the scenes Qunicy is talking to
someone behind a desk.  Quency asks for some kind of
information and the person wheels arond and pulls
something out of a file and hands Quency the file.
That was the whole thing.  He didn't play any vital
role just a guy in a chair doing his job.  This is the
kind of depiction I would like to see more of.

--- Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Personallly I like the character portrayed by Laura
> Innes on the TV show
> ER. She walks with a cane and a limp but it is never
> made the focus and
> never interferes with her being a smart, talented
> physician and beautiful at
> the same time. Her disability is just a (small) part
> of who she is. I like that
> and the fact that her colleagues accept her the way
> she is. Maybe this is
> an indication that attitudes are changing?  What do
> you all think?
>
> BTW, I saw the actress interviewed and she is NDA.
> She decided to
> portray the character with a disability and the
> producers liked the idea. As
> far as I know the cause of her disability has never
> been explained.
>
> Yvonne Mommy to 2 year-old triplets: Robert (NDA),
> Anthony (PVL, CP),
> and Our Angel, Joseph {April 14/97-Dec. 31/98}.
> Ottawa, Canada

=====
Bill Hyatt
"The shortest distance between two points is.....
 usually not accessible"