C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Denise Alvarado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:10:41 EDT
Hello,

                      DOES ANYONE NEED A TRIKE FOR THEIR CHILD??

I don't post very often, but I read the digests on an almost daily basis; you
are a great resource!   In fact, it was either here or on the Hemi-Kids
e-mail list that I learned about the Telephone Pioneers, which provides
specialized trikes to children with CP or other physical disabilities.  I
requested one, but the person who assisted me was TRYING to be helpful but
didn't understand what it was that we needed.

We received a trike for my 3 year old son who has spastic triplegia.
(Wonderful!!).

But it's the wrong kind.  First of all, its BIG.  For maybe a large four, or
even a five or six year old (and my son, being a premie, is still running
rather small).

Second of all, it has arm pedals (the arms would push the trike forward), and
it has footrests for the feet.  My son's legs are not that involved, and our
PT says he needs the stimulation he would get from pushing foot pedals.  So
this bike is not a good fit at all.

Before I call them and say, thanks, but no thanks, I want to see if anyone
else in our area (Seattle, WA) could use something like this.  I would then
provide your name and phone number to the Telephone Pioneers so that someone
could get some use out of this.

If you are on other lists and want to spread this info around so that someone
in this area, with the right kind of need, could get some use out of this
trike, that would be great.

Thanks,

Denise