C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Charles Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 06:45:56 -0400
Well over the past week or two you've learned I'm definitely opinionated
 not sure if that's worth LOL or not though)
I'm the mom of 7.  My oldest and only girl ( beginners luck!!!) is 19 and in
her 3rd yr. at the Univ.. of Mich..  She's looking at law but I don't know
if she understands she has to give her opponents equal talking time, which
would be a new experience for her. #2 is 18, 1st year premed student at
Northern. MI.Univ..He was a 32 weeker,ok physically but LD's.
#3 is 17, senior in HS, looking for a good architecture college,the HS
hockey goal ( was #1 in the league last year and asked to join an hand
picked tricounty team that went to play 2 weeks in Sweden and the Czech
Republic).  #4 is 13, gifted athletically, hockey travel team and I'm
looking for public sponsorships till he finishes growing,,,I just bought him
size 12 shoes!!!.  #5 is 10 and the baby that was switched in the hospital.
He was born nice and polite.  Has remained that way too and is the gentlest,
sweetest kid to be hoped for. #6 was stillborn 6.5 yrs .  #7 is the reason
for being on the list.  Alexander Omega ( his middle names answers the  ? if
we are having more) was born at 26 weeks 1#14 oz and as frisky as you can
come that small.  The really bad part happened April 29th 1995 when he was
20 days old his lungs hemorrhaged and his heart stopped.  It was a 30 min
resuscitation attempt and the phone call was to tell me they were calling
off CPR when his heart began to beat again.  The Doctors felt it would be
best not to do anything heroic at this point but we disagreed.  Alex has mod
Spastic Quad CP and a host of other medical problems.  We've managed to lick
a bunch ( no longer on 02 or gtube) and even had a chance at making an
elective surgery decision this summer ( SDR) as opposed ER emergency
surgeries needed to save his life.  The hardest part is with brain damage
some doc's don't feel he is worth treating aggressively.  At 4.5 he is doing
well.  He can count to 20, knows his ABC's, loves sports ( I think he's
going to be a sports color newscaster when he grows up as he already calls
the plays on TV games, with hockey and The Red Wings being his favorite).
I've enjoyed the list so far and you've all given me food for the thought
about raising Alex and his future.  Thanks.
Joann