C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Denise D. Goodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 11:02:46 EDT
I was touched to see so many posts regarding the ITB pump.  I've bookmarked
the archieves so I can always go back if need be.  Also, I checked out
several web sites on the actual pump itself.  So far, I'm not too thrilled
with what I've read.  This device only recently (within the last 3-4 years)
received FDA approval.  It requires maintance every 90 days, AND the cost
seems quite prohibative.  I'm still researching, but so far, I'm leaning
toward NOT going this route.

Bobby said to be "careful" coming off the pain killers.  That's funny?
Doctor warned me too.  So far it's been four days since I've taken any and I
don't notice any problems.  I honestly only took 1/2 to 1 pill a day.  If I
tried to take a whole pill at once I got too dizzy and naseous.  The script
was up to four pills a day.  I think if I ever did take that many I'd have
put myself in a coma :D  Anyway,  I didn't think I was addicted, even though
I've been taking them for a few years.  If I am, what would be the signs of
withdrawl?  How long until they show up?  I started to think I'd get cold
sweats or DT's or something, but so far, I'm my regular old self.  Anybody
know the signs of narcatoic withdrawl?

As to the Ativan also being addictive, the doctor also warned me there, but
he said I had a legitimate reason for taking them and should not be as
concerned.  Truthfully, the added Ativan has done more in the way of pain
management than the actual pain-killers ever did.  All along I knew the pain
was because of the spascity (sp?)  Now that my muscles are more relaxed, I
don't feel so stiff.  It is easier to move about and it doesn't feel like
someone is punching me all night long in the back when I'm trying to sleep.
I forgot what a joy life can be once the pain is under control :D

Bobby said "if you stay on Ativan very long, be very careful coming off that
stuff. It's got a very long half life."   Now, you know how much I hate to
differ with your learned opinion Bobby :D. but if I recall, Ativan is in the
Valium family, BUT it has a short Half life.  It is only supposed to stay in
the blood stream for 6 hours, versus the valium which I believe is 3 days.  I
read the med-line reports and spoke to a physician prior to taking the drug.
If my info is faulty- PLEASE, correct me.  I'd hate to be injesting
medication under false pretense :D

Mag and Linda asked where is Dr. Brody located?  He is in West Palm Beach
Florida and is affliated with Bethesda Hospital.  I honestly lucked out.  My
husbands employer switched to this no name (Sun Star) HMO group.  I was
certain it would be filled with those just starting out who needed to build a
practice.  I could not believe how great Dr. Body (a well established and
respected) ended up in an HMO, but hey, I'm happy he did.

Lastly- Good luck to  Dana on Monday.  Make certain you let us know how it
goes with the doctor.  - Thanks again!  Denise.