From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:50:53 EST
     We hope to acquire and configure the technology to establish an
internet-based WAN between two locations in Texas that are about 300 miles
apart to connect several workstations to the headquarters Novel Netware v312
network.  Dialup direct long distance charges are terribly burdensome.  Both
locations have local ISDN internet service available.  We should  like each
to be able to open both outboud and inbound connections, but over dialup
internet service.  We can gain dedicated IP addresses at each site from the
local ISP.  What we can't seem to do is get a system architecture and
technology that delivers the solution we seek.
     Consultants aplenty, solutions few.  We have one group who insists that
the new pcANYWHERE , or one of the multiple-session shareware substitutes, is
what we need, but we don't  want to have the additional hardware to maintain
a separate comm server and active internet connection at each location where
we hope to receive inbound connections in host mode.  We've another that
swears that what we need is to install Novell Netware v5.0, but we wonder why
we can't substitute a lesser upgrade using Novell Netware Connect.
Naturally, we have another that insists the only option is to acquire and
install a dedicated MicroSoft NT Server.  Really?  Can there be so many ONLY
solutions?
  Does anyone on the list have an opinion as to what is the most cost
efficient way to respond to this frequent occasion?  Why?
Tommy Holmes, Jr.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>