From:
Rick Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:39:20 -0500
I am looking for comments on new MB's to use for my next machine, lets
hear
about your favourite MB!

I am not into games, so killer speed graphics etc. are not a priority.

I am interested in AGP cards 2x or 4x which have TV and/or FM Radio
Tuners AND DVD/MPEG Decoding HARDWARE on board. ATI Rage, 3d???

For the K6-2/K6-3 MB I am looking for MB's which have the following:

K6-2/3 in the 400-500MHz Range

1MB of L2 cache, optional 2MB or the option to add additional 1MB.
Anything less than 1MB L2 cache, not interested.

On Board Sound w/Digital SPDIF Inputs, USB Digital Sound Support

On board Video AGP format at least 8MB of RAM use, or more, preferred if
it has its own RAM, but none of the boards I've seen do, unless I missed
them. An AGP slot with the ability to disable the on board an put in own
card. with AGP 2x-4x support If no video on the board.

USB Support
PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard
UDMA 33 at least and UDMA 66 would be great.
AT FORMAT PREFFERED
Award BIOS proffered
VIA MVP3 or 4 chip sets proffered
CPU Temperature Monitoring via software
CPU and/or PS Fan Speed Monitoring via software
MB Voltage monitoring via Software

For the K7/Athlon

I am pretty open on suggestions to this one, but:

L3 Cache? How much is good for this new chip? 1MB, more? less?
USB
Min. of 1 ISA Slot, as the modems I use  (Acer FM56-ITU/2) are all ISA, no
winmodems allowed and most PCI are winmodems! (I think ActionTec does
now make a real hardware PCI modem, haven't tried it though.)
UDMA 33 or UDMA 66
PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard.
AT Format proffered
On board Video AGP format at least 8MB of RAM use, or more, preferred if
it has its own RAM, but none of the boards I've seen do, unless I missed
them. An AGP slot with the ability to disable the on board an put in own
card. with AGP 2x -4x support
CPU Temperature Monitoring via software
CPU and/or PS Fan Speed Monitoring via software
MB Voltage monitoring via Software

Rick Christian

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html