From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 19:37:30 -0800
Hi, hopefully we'll get results this time. Also, there is no need to connect
the printers to the pc until they are error free. If the printers have no
errors, and
show a steady "on-line" or ready; and have printed a self test or fonts
menu,
etc. then they are ready to try on the pc. If they cannot achieve the above,
they will not print and may indicate a bad I/O controller or other fault.

> Results of applying new information:
>
> C.Itoh M-8510: No self-test occurs either method of holding down Select
> key. Printer head moves to left; nothing else happens.

Did you have paper loaded correctly ? I would use a single sheet instead
of continuos feed type.
Here's a new sequence to try: press select to take it off - line then hold
setup key. This is not a self test, but it should try to print setup
instructions.
If it can not do this, you may have a bad EEPROM - parts are difficult to
get for these and expensive for what they are.

> Panasonic KX-P4420: After emptying toner waste collection unit and
> powering on readout changed to CHECK MNL FEED U19. MANUAL, PRINT, and ON
> LINE indicators flash. When try to print test page through Windows 98 get
> "There was problem sending your document to the printer" message. As
> cable works with other printers assume everything up to printer cable end
> is fine.

this printer indicates a paper jam in the manual feed tray area. Look
carefully
for stuck labels, torn paper etc. If you are certain there is no obstruction
open
the hatch to gain access to the innerbody of the printer and double check
there. After closing the hatch the jam condition should reset unless -
   1.) a physical obstruction is still detected by the jam sensor.
   2.) jam sensor could be knocked out of its holder and giving false
detect.
   3.) jam sensor could be dirty giving false detect.
   4.) or worst case - electrical troubleshooting required.

If the jam resets it should print a test page automatically about 60 seconds
after it warms up.
-yui

> Demetri Kolokotronis

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: