From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:12:36 -0800
On 29 Sep 99, at 19:26, Janice Hatfield wrote:

> I don't know if this is the site I should be sending my question
> to but I have looked every place and can't find any way to find the
> answer. I have a AST Adventure 200  amd pc processor. I'm not to
> femilier with computers  but i do know  I have ran out of memory
> and I need to know what computer is compatable with mine. The #
> is503280-401 I have contacted AST and they tell me to go to there
> web site and to the FAQ. that told me nothing. Please help.

  Searching the web, I found info about this machine at

http://winweb.winmag.com/library/1997/0701/featu134.htm

  A few points call for attention immediately:

1.  Installed RAM is only 8MB.  This too is rather low for Win 98.
However, Windows is able to run in small-ish memory configurations by
sacrificing speed and swapping stuff to the hard drive to make room, so
it's unlikely that simply adding RAM is going to fix the problem.  An
upgrade to 32 or 64 MB *will* help performance; unfortunately, RAM prices
have shot up in recent weeks, and so this is not a really good time to buy.

2.  The hard drive is only 1GB.  It is fairly likely that you are running
out of room here; if Windows detects that it is running out of room when it
wants to swap something to the drive, it might get *reported* as "out of
memory"....  [Note that your system may be old enough to have difficulty
handling drives larger than 2GB.  Drives tha small have all but disappeared
-- if you want to try upgrading your drive capacity, it had better be
soon....]

  [There was also an "out of memory" condition that could result from a bug
in Windows 3, but since the write-up is dated from 1997, I *assume* you're
running Windows 95.]

  I expect you found the note on AST's web site redirecting you to

http://www.ari-service.com

for support of systems older than Feb/1999, right?  Not that it's a huge
help, but there is a document there which talks -- in rather vague terms,
I'm afraid -- about DIMM compatibility issues.

David G