From:
Ray Glueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:38:12 -0400
The purpose of FDISK is ONLY to set the partition information which is then
stored in the master boot record. That is why the command FDISK/MBR works
since this rewrites the master boot record.  After partitioning, each
partition must be individually formatted and that process sets up the FAT
tables and DIRectory for each partition. One partition must be marked as
active in the MBR so that on startup it knows which partition to select.

Practically NO ONE does a low level format today unless you have a very old
drive. All of the low-level formatting is done at the factory where special
software is used to "lock-out" defective areas, apply servo information and
then present an image to the user of a perfect drive with no bad sectors and
an optimum sector skip.  If you try to low level format an IDE drive even
with the factory software and you do not have the proper knowledge and info,
you will ruin the drive.  The Microsoft MSDOS manuals are correct, albeit
somewhat confusing.

Ray...