From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:17:35 -0700
On Tuesday, September 07, 1999, 2:25 PM, Kylie Nielsen
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a group of computers to try and fix. Some of the problems seem to
> be hard drive related, however, every PC has the BIOS password protected
> and no one knows the password. Does anyone know how to get past the BIOS
> password? The auto detect is also switched off, so I can't swap hard
> drives (they are all different sizes and brands). Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Resetting the CMOS
==================
There is only one other way to get past the BIOS password.
It involves discharging the static memory (CMOS) used to store the
password and other system information. Once it is discharged,
however, you have to reset all the system settings by hand.

Follow these steps:

  1. Start up the computer

       a. If the system allows it, enter the Setup Screen (Usually by
pressing F1, DEL or INS during the memory check)

       b. Record all the Setup Information. Double Check.

  2. Turn off the computer

  3. Remove the casing, and put the computer on the ground in
such a way that you can see and access the side of  the motherboard with the
processor on it.

 4. Look at the motherboard

  a. If you can see a round, disc-like battery, then  remove it, and let the
computer sit without  the battery for 15-30 minutes. Put the battery
back in.

  b. If you have access to the circuit diagrams for the motherboard, look in
there for the password or CMOS jumper. Flip it on and off.

  c. Look for a blue, soldered-in battery with a jumper  running off of it.
This jumper is for connecting an external battery. Pull it out for 15-30
min. to reset the CMOS.

 5. Replace the computer casing.

 6. Enter the Setup Screen, and set the Setup Information
back to the original values that you (hopefully)  recorded.

If you were unable to record the setup info, then you'll just have
to set it up manually. Some newer Plug & Play BIOSes have an
autodetect feature that automatically sets-up the hard disk and
other items.  One caveat, only attempt to do this if you have the tech
skills or know someone who lives close that does.

Walter R. Worth

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org