From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:06:52 -0700
On 4 Sep 99, at 0:36, Ian Newman wrote:

> I setup up a peer to peer network between my 2 computers at my home few
> months ago for a bit of fun & learning. I noticed when I setup the
> protocols included MS VP networking & I read last week that this protocol
> could be used to run a WAN across the internet. I would like to connect to
> my brother in Australia thru this system as I am in Holland. Can anyone out
> there enlighten me on this system & how to connect to him. From what I
> managed to read I have to create a new Dial up Networking connection with
> his IP address in there. Do we have to change this each time we log on? Any
> help appreciated on info or where I can purchase books on this subject as
> the networking & TCP/IP books I have give very little insight.

  Think of VPN as building a tunnel (or a wormhole) between your local network
and his machine.  This tunnel runs "on top of" the usual network connection.

  So first you need a usual network connection -- one of your machines, and
his, need normal external IP addresses that can talk to each other across the
Internet.  In addition, your local machines need a local subnet range to talk
amongst themselves, and the VPN tools allow his machine to be given an IP in
this subnet (as a *second* IP address) and, via its link to your externally-
connected machine, to participate in your local network.
  Now, your question about changing each time you log on suggests that at
least one of you has a dynamic IP address -- perhaps both.  I don't think
that's going to mix well with VPN.  ONE of you -- and it sounds like you're
the logical one -- should have a static IP address, preferably always
connected (xDSL, cable modem, ISDN, T1 or whatever).

  The VPN stuff included in Win 9x is just the "client" side.  The "server"
side not only needs a fixed IP address but is part of NT (Server?) 4.0's RAS
(or RRAS) services.  Although Win98 can be configured as a DUN server, it
does not provide VPN facilities in this mode.

David G

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>