From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:44:47 -0700
On 14 Jul 99, at 9:08, Roberto Safora wrote:

> Got a System
> HOT 661V, 96 MB, AHA 2940 UW PCI, IBM 4560 MB (DDRS-34560), ACER ATAPI CD
> driver.
> I can acces the HDD from W98 start up disk. I can even format it and do
> every write and read. However when it comes to NT server 4.0 no SCSI host is
> detected. Everything seems to be OK in the SCSi utility. BIOS detects AHA
> 2940....
> What might be happening?

  I've generally had bad/no luck trying to run ATAPI CD-ROM drives with only
SCSI hard drives under NT 4.  I don't recall quite enough specifics to be
sure whether I saw exactly these results.

  My hunch is that in order for this to work, Win 9x relies on PnP or PCI
interrupt sharing, or some combination of the two -- neither of which is
really/fully supported by NT.  I think the result is that the BIOS configures
the 2940 to use an IRQ where the NT boot loader will never find it.  [So
instead of shelling out for a SCSI CD-ROM drive, you might consider adding a
small/old IDE drive as a boot device.]

David G

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org