From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:57:25 -0500
Ben Balzer wrote:

>This is directed to those people with a genuine interest in paleodiet,
>especially if they own a site, not to trolls, etc.
>
>Many websites are joined by webrings- linking sites of similar interest.
>There are now enough paleolithic diet sites to make this worthwhile. I'm
>sure you've seen webrings- it's fun to skip from one site to the next until
>you find something you like. It's like a links page but different.
>Any interest? Sorry, I lack the skills to set it up.

A big problem with webrings is that they go against the very essence of the
web as a user-controlled/selectable medium, where one can directly pick and
choose the link they want. I don't know about most other surfers, but I
find them a slap in the face in tantalizing me with the potential prospect
of pages I might want to look at, but then taking my choice and control
away by forcing me to laboriously wade through 4 or 6 or 8 or 10
pages/sites or whatever, just to see if there are any that really interest
me (and usually the first few I wade through in the typical webring don't,
I have found). And this without ever knowing what other pages might be out
there in the ring if I decide to bail early. No thanks. Since 90% of
everything is s*^&t, even paleo pages :-) , it all reminds me of
heavy-handed marketing tactics, and I don't have the time. I suppose I can
see how maybe the "surprise" factor would be attractive to a certain
minority, but I can't see webrings ever taking off in a very big way since
by their nature they try go directly against the "grain" :-) of the what
the web is really all about (user control, again). For my money, Don Wiss'
Paleolithic Diet page has the territory covered already.

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>