From:
Caroline Albanese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 19:08:19 -0500
To all who are against getting their kids vaccinated, please bear in
mind that for the polio vaccine, if you do not get your kid vaccinated,
they can carry the disease and infect other unvaccinated kids.  You see,
not everyone who carries the virus manifests the diesease, and
unvaccinated kids represent an danger to others who are unimminized.

I strongly believe that vaccines do much more good than harm.  We have
virtually eliminated small pox, measles, mumps. Hopefully, others like
HIV will be a thing of the past if a vaccine can be developed.  As a
health care worker, I gladly took the Hep B vaccine, and I've seen the
ravages of Hep B cirrhosis of the liver too many times.  I agree that an
infant at home is unlikely to contract Hep B (as it is transmitted by
sex and IV drugs or needle sticks) but I think the health care
profession srtives to vaccinate people long before they encounter those
fact of life, so it will never become an issue.  The philosophy is: if
you don't vaccinate them when they're young, they may fall between the
cracks and you'll miss the opportunity forever.

My boyfriend, also a doctor, worked in India for a few months out at the
Children in Need Institute (founded by mother Theresa) and he saw case
after pathetic case of needless disease due to lack of preventative
care, ie, vaccines.  I believe I am blessed to live in a world where
such prevention is possible, and when I have children I will most
certainly vaccinate them. I believe strongly that the benefits outweigh
the risks...hands down.

--Caroline. MD